Friday, March 22, 2024

Bramble Blooms and Little Outings

A few weeks ago Audrey posted the prompt for the final border for Bramble Blooms I.  I anticipated the repeated block but I did not anticipate 4-, 9-, or 12-patch blocks.  Her quilt looks fabulous with 12-patch blocks and so do several others I've seen online.  But mine?  I'm not so sure.  Does a picnic blanket or a gingham tablecloth come to mind?
Bramble Blooms I in progress
I'm faced with two challenges.  The first is that I forgot to add a half inch to my measurements to allow for seams.  Right now what I have measures 40" x 48".  (Not 40½" x 48½"!)  The other challenge is that I want a quilt that is at least 60" x 80".  If there is only this last border, it will have to measure at least 10" on each side and at least 16" top and bottom or 32" divided two ways for the top and bottom borders

This is the first iteration, just playing, seeing how the colors look, etc.  The border squares in the photo are 3".  Much too large, far out of proportion.  So those are a no.  But what to do?  I feel like I've backed myself into a corner with the large appliques and that wide brown border.  Hmmm.

Maybe the quilt needs several narrower borders.  Maybe the squares won't have right-angle corners.  Maybe I should try a variety of reds, maybe without alternating lights.  Perhaps a medium width teal border, then 2" squares into 9- or 12-patches, and another border, maybe with applique.  Do you ever begin a quilt of your own design with strong ideas about how it will look when it's finished?  Me, too, but this isn't that process. 

I don't know what I'm doing.  I look at this and I think, "Oh my gosh, what have I done?"  At least I still love the center.  And I remind myself of Audrey's thought (paraphrased) that out of the three quilts in this series we're bound to fall in love with one of them.

I put this on the floor last week, took photos, and picked it up while my daughter and her kitties were here.  They're gone again and I have exactly two weeks to consider and hopefully make some decisions until I have to pick it up.  They'll come again in two Fridays. 

If you've read this far, thank you!  Please know that this post is a thinking-out-loud, rambling in my brain post, but I would love to hear (read) any thoughts, suggestions, or observations you may have for this quilt in progress.

The Little Outings

Our local library offers "culture passes" which are checked out like books and allow library patrons to visit various places of interest at no cost.  When we only want to spend an hour or two somewhere, it's great to have these free passes.  I suppose this tells you what I've been doing instead of sewing.

Two weeks ago we went to the Columbus Museum of Art.  It was a beautiful old building, and part of it still is, but they built a modern addition around part of it.  I love it when architects maintain the integrity of old buildings, but at least they didn't take down any of the old walls.  There's a section where the outside of the old building is now inside the new addition. 

This green and white quilt was on display.  The information called it "Sawtooth Diamond in a Square Quilt" and told us it was made of wool challis by an unidentified Amish maker between about 1910 and 1940.  The first photo is a detail of the quilting in the corners and the next is the whole quilt.  I think the quilting is an unusual motif on an Amish quilt.
Sawtooth Diamond in a Square Quilt at Columbus Museum of Art
Sawtooth Diamond in a Square Quilt at Columbus Museum of Art
This is part of the ceiling in the old building.   So much detail!  I'm generally not a fan of blues but they are perfect in this setting.
ceiling in the old part of the Columbus Museum of Art

I think museum directors of Columbus love Dale Chihuly's work.  This is one of several pieces we saw at the Museum of Art.  I'm sure it has a name but I didn't see a sign.
a Chihuly piece at the Columbus Museum of Art
This past Tuesday we went to the Franklin Park Conservatory.   It is a huge, mostly glass building filled with plants, art, and, at this time of year, there is a garden room with butterflies.  My photos of the butterflies and chrysalises did not come out well, but there were at least 50 varieties.  and because this post is so long, I'm not including many plants.

More Chihuly.  This was in a stairwell.  I think the circles are between 18" and 24" but they could be larger.  No small feat to invisibly suspend that much weight of fragile glass!
a Chihuly piece at the Franklin Park Conservatory
This is another Chihuly piece that was suspended from the ceiling.  They are individual shapes grouped closely together.  Thank goodness there's no wind in the building.
a Chihuly piece at the Franklin Park Conservatory
And the last Chihuly photo.  These shapes are at least 36" across.   They were beautiful!

a Chihuly piece at the Franklin Park Conservatory
The Conservatory is divided into rooms with various growing conditions.  I thought these orchids were beautiful.  They reminded me of old, aged silk.orchids at the Franklin Park Conservatory I took a few photos of other plants but this post is already so long....

Great news is that spring is in evidence all around me.  Daffodils, crocuses, forsythia are in bloom.  And many of the bushes have sprouts on them.  Have you ever noticed that spring turns green from the ground up?  First the grass, then flowers that are close to the ground then taller flowers, then bushes and shrubs, and finally the trees leaf out into green glory.  Isn't nature amazing?!

I don't know what kind of blooms these are--maybe witch hazel?--but I thought they were fun.  Almost like starbursts. 
We've had some sunny days, partly sunny days, and cloudy, rainy days these past weeks.  We've also had snowflakes and weather into the 60s.  An Ohio spring!  Except it's earlier this year than most years. 
Thanks for visiting and reading!  (And leaving comments, if you do.)

I'm linking this post to
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Off the Wall Friday at Creations by Nina Marie (any creative effort)
Thank you for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.

12 comments:

  1. I am not putting that last border on--my little quilt just needs a little stop border of plain fabric I think!! I just cannot see 2,4 or 6 patches added
    onto it at all!! I think you have to go with what speaks to you...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the only one who is not going to add a 4-, 9-, or 12-patch border, Julierose. I like that Audrey always gives the option to do something other than the prompt she offers, depending on what the quilt needs. And I agree, we have to do what speaks to each of us.
      On the other hand, if I don't try to consider other options, I'm not learning and growing when it comes to improv quilting. I think I owe it to myself to consider options before I say the quilt's done. Also, I don't really have a use for little quilts so I want this to be big enough for a bed.

      Delete
  2. My Bramble Blooms is on hold while I finish my Christmas quilt top which is coming along. I noticed you were auditioning a teal border around the center of your BB. I like that a lot. I don't really have any advice for your next border. I hope you feel inspired soon.
    I love the idea of "Culture Passes". Looks like you picked out a great place to go. I like Dale Chihuly's creations, they have a way of enlivening things around them. I first became acquainted with his stuff during the 2002 Olympics which was held here. Here is a link
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/167477679863275634/
    He had built a really tall tree creation in the lobby of Abravenel Hall (our symphony hall) downtown. My youngest son and his chamber group used to play in the lobby before the performances and so we could see all the different colors of orange/yellow/red on this fabulous tree creation. It was in front of a huge window so you could see his "Olympic Tower shining through the window from the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As your finishing your Christmas quilt, in the back of your mind you're probably considering options for Bramble Blooms? I should have done that a little longer. I feel rushed with deadlines sometimes, especially when it comes to creative ones. I remember being as uninspired by the promt when Audrey gave it as I am still. I had just read someone's blog post and comments in which one of the commenters wrote that she found it helpful to think about creative problems like this while she was falling asleep. So I tried it. I hd one of the worst night's sleep, and it was the Saturday/Sunday that we switched to Daylight Saving Time. I won't do that again! Haha.
      I'm still considering a teal border but don't know how it will evolve and resolve itself.
      Wow, the Chuhuly piece in Abravenel Hall is gorgeous! It's great that it's in a symphony hall where so many people can see it so often. Columbus's Chihuly pieces feel hidden away, in the museum of art and the conservatory, but it's probably just because I don't get to those places often that I feel that way. I read a little about Chihuly and learned that he likes to defy the impossible and push glass to its limit. I'd say he definitely succeeds.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Julie rose, and actually have the same feeling about the border prompt. So I'm planning to try something that might capture the spirit if not the actual prompt. But still fussing with adding a bit more applique to the center of the quilt - sigh.... I was intrigued by your photos of the old ceiling, some of those motifs might just be an inspiration for your future borders for your quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat.  I like that Audrey gives a prompt but always encourages us to figure out what's best for the quilt.  I think capturing the spirit of the prompt is a great idea.  I've been thinking of other ways to interpret 9- or 12-patch blocks.
      I'm sure your additional applique to the center will be great.  I remember that in a previous post you said you thought it needed more.
      Yes, the ceiling motifs might be inspiration for the border.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your outings. Chilhuly never fauls to amaze and astonish me.

    Bramble Blossoms---you'll know what right when you find it. BUT--I guess I knew this project was a series---but I can do only one. Choose to do only one. Not OMG three. So I hope I do love it.
    I pretty much know what it will be, I can see it now, but have been busy w planned winter finishes and ''other stuff'', so my BB remains on the work table, waiting sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy.  I take so many photos when we're out and about and then so few of them turn out well.  I'm always grateful if there are 2 or 3 that are good enough to post.
      Oh, Bramble Blooms.  It's often in the back of my mind, mostly being ignored.  (Haha.)  But ideas come and go.  One of these days one of them will seem good enough to try out.
      I think when we first started Bramble Blooms you said you would only do one, not three.  So you're doing good.  And since you already have a good idea about it, you'll probably finish it pretty quickly when its turn comes up after the winter finishes.  But if you wait long enough, who knows but what Audrey's first prompt for the next quilt might sound better than what you're thinking about now....  (Or not.)

      Delete
  5. I am in exactly the same place as you with Bramble Blooms. I made my borders and it turned UGLY! It's in time-out right now and I'm pondering how to make it much larger (I like quilts I can snuggle under) and how to salvage my hideous squares situation. (Yours are much, much less hideous, but I do see that there are continuity and sizing troubles at this point.) Your photos of visits using borrowed passes are wonderful. I know my library has some, but we're a small town and I don't know how far their reach extends...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think time out is the perfect place for Bramble Blooms when we're having trouble with the next prompt.  Like you, I like quilts that are large enough to cover me for a nap, or lay on a bed.  I'm thinking maybe I should consider another two or three borders instead of trying to make it large enough with one.  That would help with the size/continuity problem.Thanks so much for your forthright comment about the problems with my BB quilt, Katie.  Most people who comment don't want to say something that might offend (at least that's what I'm guessing), but I really appreciate others' honest observations and thoughts.  Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I totally get your struggle with the second border. I'm sure you'll come up with the right solution for your quilt in time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paulette. "In time" is the problem. I don't work well under pressure and especially with a new-to-me method of working. If I don't get the borders in time, I'll probably start the BB2 anyway. Probably....

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...