Thursday, September 26, 2024

Links to Enjoy #28

These are a few links I've enjoyed over the past month or so. Maybe you'll like one or two of them, too.

I discovered a small, online collection of quilts, The Childress Collection, that you might enjoy.  Some quilts are more traditional, most are less traditional.  The collection is called Anonymous Quilt and is hosted by Marjorie Childress, who gave permission to post this photo.  Some of the quilts have detail photographs so be sure to click around.
Wally Dion makes large, amazing translucent quilts.  They are pieced like quilts, but they are not layered and are used more like flags.  I was unable to learn his process and don't know how he makes them translucent.  

Atlas Obscura's post, What Abandoned Schools Can Teach Us,
reminded me of the website, Abandoned America.  There you can see beautiful buildings which were once vibrant and alive with activity but, fell into disrepair, were abandoned, then torn down.  Or, occasionally, renovated.  Abandoned America captures photos between abandonment and non-existence.  I wonder, is this a particularly American thing, to build something beautiful with the intention of it lasting a century or more, then tearing it down 80 years later?  I continue to be amazed at society's willingness to demolish rather than repair and preserve.  (I understand that it mostly comes down to money.)  I occasionally visit Abandoned America to see the beauty that once was.

I love color and find it interesting how people perceive colors.  My husband will call a color red that to my eyes looks orange.  We've never talked about blue/green. 
This website, Is My Blue Your Blue?, is about color perception, too, but only in the blue/green range.  There is a wide range from true green to true blue!  If you play--it takes about a minute--I'd be interested to learn where you fall on the blue/green range.  The website tells me that my "boundary is at hue 185, bluer than 93% of the population.  For you, turquoise is green."  But, if there had been an option to choose turquoise or aqua, I probably would have called several of the options one of those colors.
Lastly, I love bird nests.  I think it's because of the woven-like aspect of them, not to mention the natural objects used in their creation.  So, of course, I would like the new post, Snuggle Up with the New Smithsonian Handbook of Interesting Bird Nests and Eggs with its beautiful photograph of six or so nets.  I immediately reserved a copy of the book the post referenced at my local library.  I'm eager to see and read about the nests!

I know this post was a long time coming....  Maybe I'll find more interesting posts to share sooner.

Enjoy!
--Nancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...