Friday, August 23, 2013

Fair Quilts, 2013

I've been quilting Center Light for the past few weeks - some day for nearly 4 hours.  Whew!  That's a lot of hand quilting.  The unfortunate thing about hand quilting is that it's hard to show progress (especially when the photographer is me!).  So no photos of that quilt.

But here are photos of some quilts from the 2013 Ohio State Fair that I took in July.  (I didn't record the names of the quilters, unfortunately.)

These two small quilts were in a showcase.

Of course I liked the red in this one
and the geese flying around the borders.

This one was more interesting when viewed closer than
from a distance.  You can click on it to enlarge and
see it closer.  (I'm not using Lightbox so you'll be
able to click a second time and see it even larger.)

The quilter used many different reds and blacks in this one.
Even though all the blocks are the same I like the
visual rhythm and patterns they create when set in rows.

I thought this one was very fun.  It was full of bright colors.

A close-up of the quilt above.

This quilt won best of show.  It was hand-appliqued using lots
and lots of different fabrics.  It just made my heart sing to see
it.  The blocks are set on point, not obvious from first glance.

Click on the image to see a larger version
where you can see some of the fabrics.

And an even closer view of one wreath.

I didn't think the prairie points on the edge
added much except color but the vine and trumpet
flowers that dance around the border are delightful.

When I see a quilt show in person I notice some things and not others.  Then when I get home and look at my photos, I have questions that could have been answered if I'd thought of them when the quilt was in front of me.  Do you do that, too?

I hope you're enjoying whatever you're working on.

--Nancy.
.

3 comments:

  1. What beautiful quilts! Thanks so much for sharing them. Son #3 made a trip to the Ohio State Fair also, but I'm sure he didn't think to visit the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous quilts, Nancy. Four hours hand quilting? I don't know how you do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I also see things different when looking at quilt show photos after I get home. Looks like the Ohio State Fair had beautiful quilts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...