I wanted a quick, simple back for this quilt. Nothing fancy because, after all, it is a scrap quilt.
I had a piece of fabric that was wide enough for the quilt itself but didn't have four extra inches on the sides. I added a strip of fabric to make it wider, layered it, and pin basted it. Then I started to quilt it. Ugh. The fabric looked like it should be easy to quilt but it wasn't. This style of plaid/homespun has been around for a good while and I've always loved it but I'll never try it for quilting again.
Back to the drawing board, but I knew it would not be a simple, easy, quick back. I didn't want to shop for fabric or buy fabric (time, money) and I didn't have any other red piece large enough. So I pulled some fabrics I thought would work together.
Yes, pieces of shirts. In retrospect it would have taken less time to go buy fabric if I could have found fabric I thought would work for the quilt.
After a few hours I came up with this.
Now the quilt will be scrappy, both front and back. I layered and pin basted it today and have already started quilting it.
It's hard to describe how satisfying it is to sit and hand quilt for a while each day, and how unsatisfying it is not to have a quilt ready after finishing one. I rarely have a next one ready but I think it should become one of my goals for next year.
We visited our somewhat local historical farm, Slate Run, last week. They had this quilt in the frame. I thought it an interesting pattern.
All of those blue/grey squares are set in, not sewn as triangles. I was in awe.
The farm is set in the 1890s and they try to keep thing accurate to that time period. I don't know if they succeeded with these fabrics but even if they didn't, this will be a great quilt.
Happy sewing, quilting, or whatever you're doing.