Saturday, February 26, 2022

Dear Prudence, First Finish of 2022

Dear Prudence was a sew-along, based on an antique, offered by Pam Buda of Heartspun Quilts in September, 2021.  I fell in love with the original, mostly for the copper-bronze-brown fabrics, and decided to sew along.  The original had pink background and pink border fabrics.  When I finished my quilt the pink border was just too much pink for me.  I changed it out for a brown and am satisfied with it. 
Dear Prudence quilt
After washing and drying, the quilt finishes at about 18" x 22".  I know everyone calls quilts this size and smaller miniature quilts, or maybe even doll quilts, but the word that comes to my mind is quiltlet.  The suffix -let indicates a diminutive.  (Think piglet, booklet, owlet, droplet, etc.)  The word quiltlet works for me (and I like it better than the word miniature or it's abbreviation, mini).

I used the same fabric for the border on the front and 4/5 of the backing.  In real life it's a medium, tawny-bronze color.  The two photos below are closer to the real-life colors.  Photos taken in different lighting can sure make us wonder what the "real" colors of quilts are! 
back of Dear Prudence quilt
I used a single layer of soft flannel for batting.  Because it had been laundered I doubted there would be much shrinkage.  I was pleasantly surprised to see all the crinkly goodness when I pulled it out of the dryer. 

I thought how wonderful that flannel would be for a large quilt, cuddly for sure, but I'm not sure how warm it would be.  But the quiltlet is cuddly and pliable, always one of my goals for the quilts I make.

Finishing this quilt was my One Monthly Goal for February.  I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal February Finish Link-up at Elm Street Quilts.  Thanks so much for organizing and hosting this link-up, Patty.  Click through to see others' amazing finishes for this month!

I thought about linking to Wendy's end-of-the-month mini link-up at The Constant Quilter but since I know I won't be consistent in making quiltlets regularly, I should probably just enjoy the small quilts her other participants make.  You can visit her blog on the last day of each month to find links to their quilts.

Edited to add:  I let Wendy know I finished this quilt this month and she added me to her list of others.  You can read her post and see the names of others who made miniature quilts this month here.  Thanks, Wendy!

I hope your days and year are going great.  We have weather that's typical of early spring but I'm hoping for one or two good, heavy snows--snowstorms, really!--before spring pushes its way past winter, but I think spring is going to be pushier than usual this year and deprive us of a little winter.  What did that groundhog say?

--Nancy.

14 comments:

  1. Simply gorgeous finish on your Quiltlet!! I love those copper-y browns and pinks playing together. Nice work hugs, Julieros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose. Those pinks and coppery-browns are never a combination I would have chosen on my own but they do seem to do okay together.

      Delete
  2. Dear Prudence turned out great. I wish I could see it in person to get a true feel for the colors because I love the brown in the 2nd picture of the backing. I think putting flannel instead of regular batting was a great idea. It must drape nicely. We've received more snow this year than last year but we needed so much more to get us out of this drought. I'm hoping Old Man Winter is saving some snow for March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin.  The brown in the second photo is very close to the color of the fabric I used.  Shall I see if I have a scrap and send it along to you?
      The flannel does make the quilt drape softly.  That's probably not what some quilters want for their small quilts, though, maybe especially if they're putting them on a wall.
      I'm beginning to lose hope for more snow this winter.  We've had temperatures in the 60s this past week and it's predicted to go to 71 on Sunday.  Though I know the weather can always surprise us!
      I hope you're having a good day and week.

      Delete
  3. You really should let Wendy know of your interest, there are a lot of us who don't finish a small quilt each and every month, but it's always so much fun to share when we have something. Dear Prudence is a real beauty and so intricately stitched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I think the photo must make the stitching look intricate. I just stitched around the inside of the larger triangles and around the outside edges of the sections with three triangles, and made two lines of stitching in the outer border.
      Thanks for the encouragement to let Wendy know. She was very gracious.

      Delete
  4. I do not mind a short winter, but I hate a short spring and please no repeat of last years Long Hot Summer! Love your Quiltlet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, QuiltGranma. Like you, I'm not a fan of a short spring, especially if it turns into summer in April or May! But autumn can begin in early September and end in late November. It's my favorite season.

      Delete
  5. Nancy, this is fabulous!! I never want anyone to feel pressured to make a mini every month. I think people just love to see like minded quilters and what they have accomplished for the month. I love this one. I have linked you into the February post. Thanks for sharing your wonderful little quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is just right the way you made it. It is very vintage looking, and I love that! I made this design, but didn't stick with the pattern or Pam's colors too very well. But that is nothing new. :)
    Nice work, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I think this must look vintage because of the colors or maybe because I was copying an old quilt. I am always amazed at how different the same quilt block can look depending on colors alone. Someone in Cheri Payne's FB group posted a full-size version with black and grey plaids and it had a completely different look to it.
      I'm pleased to learn I'm not the only one who doesn't stick with patterns very well.

      Delete
  7. Dear Prudence is just lovely, your fabrics are just gorgeous, congratulations on a fabulous finish!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tazzie. The colors in the photos aren't exactly accurate, but close.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...