Monday, February 28, 2022

Flowers, Again

Adage:  If there's one mistake, there's probably another.  This is a modern adage I made up when I realized this happened over and over in my quilting and creating experiences.  When I see a mistake that needs fixed in a quilt block, or a whole quilt, or a garment I'm sewing, I always check it over for another mistake because I've found that there will probably be one.  I'm thrilled when there isn't but pleased when I can fix a small problem before it becomes a big one.
Thank goodness I checked the blocks of this quilt.  As I was cutting away the fabric behind the appliques I realized that there was barely a thread of this coral dot fabric holding it to the green and then the two pieces began to pull apart.  Whew, that was a close call!  I repaired the problem by cutting a piece of green and stitching it in place.  It's an imperfect repair but I think it will only be noticed if someone is going over the quilt with a fine-toothed comb.  I'm happy enough with it to leave it (for now, anyway).

I unstitched this quilt during the commercials while watching the Olympics (How I miss them!) and stitched together these blocks, below, this week.  This is about half or three-fifths of the whole quilt.  I like it much better now.  It seems more unified to me.
The unstitching became almost soothing, therapeutic, probably because I wasn't trying to rush through it in a mad dash to get on to the next part.  

Below are all the blocks with the top section sewn and the layout for the other blocks.  Putting this quilt together is like solving a puzzle, with two sizes of sashing triangles, some sections of 1" or  1½" pieces to make the triangles fit the blocks, and some blocks in need of strips to make them fit the sizes of the sashing triangles.  It's an interesting challenge that, for me, requires patience to figure it all out and get it right.
Today I'll work on the bottom section of blocks.  When they are sewn together I'll have to figure out the outer border of triangles and which way they will march around the edges.  If you have any thoughts about the directions the brighter colored triangles should point I'd love to know.  I'm thinking they should march around the quilt all in the same direction but if I do that, two sides will have the bright triangles against the center of the quilt and two will have  neutral against the center.  Does that matter, visually?  Thank you for any input.

I'm linking this post to
> BOMs Away at What a Hoot!
> Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
> Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework
Thank you for hosting, ladies.

--Nancy.

18 comments:

  1. Many antique quilts have pieces patched together to make a bigger piece. I think the added bit adds to the charm of the block. If someone examines it that closely and discovers the patch, they will smile at the whimsy. I learned many years ago that trying to hurry the unpicking can only invite disaster so I take a big breath and calmly proceed. Having a sharp seam ripper helps. I was so amused to see my now 10 year old granddaughter calmly unpicking a seam in one of her blocks because it was her idea. Your sampler is coming along nicely. So creative of you to change up the layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. It's true that I love to see the little patches and alterations quilters have made in older quilts. I guess I forget that mine might be old someday and someone may enjoy seeing that patch.

      Oh, yes, seam rippers must be sharp! I have a supply of 5 or 6 in various places around the house (my to-go box, near the chair where I quilt, at the sewing machine, on the ironing board). They get a good workout and they all eventually break. I buy them when notions are on sale at JoAnn because I never want to be without one. (I wonder what that says about my sewing?)

      I'm so impressed that your granddaughter sews at age 10--and picks out. Good for her to be so careful and accurate about her sewing at her age. I always think it's important to learn best practices when young.

      Delete
  2. I just love your flower that you patched--So prim and pretty!! And your Bannock piece is just gorgeous!! I love it..wish I could applique like that;000 I love the new layout too... hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose. That flower's an unusual one, but I love it, too. Several of Brannock's flowers are pretty unusual.

      Delete
  3. I doubt anyone but the quilt police wou.dnoticethat cute little applique repair, and they aren't allowed in my quilting domain! Seriously though, I love the quilt layout as you've shown, this is going to be a showstopper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yeh, I don't let the quilt police here too often, Pat. I suppose I'm the one who polices more than anyone else. Haha.
      I think the layout now is a definite improvement over the previous one.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful applique blocks, Nancy and the layout is perfect. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is "YOU WERE RIGHT". This really looks nice. The blocks no longer compete with the sashing. The repair is perfect. It looks like it was meant to be from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. Well, it was really Linda Brannock who was right about the layout and sashing. I suppose that's why she was a quilt designer and I'm not.
      I think the repair works but as I rethink it (I know, I shouldn't) it might have been fun to use a little striped fabric there at the bottom of the flower. But no, I'm going to leave it....

      Delete
  6. beautiful blocks....it'll be wonderful and doesn't need to be perfect...i miss olympics too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace. I'm trying to overcome my tendency toward perfection....

      Delete
  7. It's beautiful and I am sure you'll get it together in way that finally pleases you. Maybe you guys could watch--hockey? basketball? spring training? to fill the Olympics void?

    PS I couldn t see the repair at the beginning without studying hard [of course my eyes, well...] but anyway rem things like this are what we find so charming in antique quilts.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LIzzy.
      Instead of the Olympics, maybe ice skating, ski jumping, ski boarding, luge, bobsled, but I'm not sure where to see those on TV (without cable).
      I know I love to see things like these in early quilts. If only I could let go of the intention of perfection!

      Delete
  8. I had looked at that block a few times before actually having time to read the post. I HAD NOT SEEN THE REPAIR! It surprised me to see that the photo was after the repair, because it was unnoticeable, until I looked for it. Excellent solution.
    The whimsy of this piece makes it so that the triangles can go together any way you want them to, IMHO.
    Good work, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet.

      To me the patch isn't super obvious but when I look closely I see the slight misalignment of the stripes in the plaid. But I'm going to try to leave it.

      "Whimsy" is a great description of this quilt! Some of the flowers are the oddest I've seen on a quilt.

      Delete
  9. I don't think it matters at all whether those fabrics touch or not. I think it will fit right in with the style of the quilt. (And your repair looks great.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment about the repair, Sandy, and especially for sharing your thoughts about the outer triangles. I'm sure you're right it won't matter. The quilt is already so busy.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...