Thursday, April 28, 2022

April One Monthly Goal Accomplished

My One Monthly Goal for April was to find backing fabric for one of three quilts and then layer and pin-baste the quilt.  I actually finished pin-basting on the 19th and began quilting the next day.
Buckeye Beauty quilt top
There's always pressure when I don't yet have the fabric for a goal and have only three weeks to find it; wash and dry it; align/match the pattern in the fabric and sew the seam; then layer and baste.  I was happy to have found a red fabric that I thought would work for at least one of the quilts.  When it arrived, it was clear to me that the Buckeye Beauty, above, was the best choice for using the backing fabric that arrived.

This is the backing I found, in the photo below at the top.  It's a Judie Rothermel print, Vining Flowers, from her Journey to America Collection.
Buckeye Beauty quilt top
The colors in the photo are not completely accurate but close.  Because the top had so many red-range fabrics (including pinks, corals, etc), plus some creams, and some very dark red/almost burgundy fabrics, I thought this backing fabric was as good as I'd find. 

I'd been thinking about using big stitch but haven't been pleased with my experiences using size 8 perle cotton.  There was a lot of shrinkage--much more than with quilting thread--and the shrinkage was uneven.  When I stopped at one of the local craft/sewing stores two weeks ago I found two spools of  DMC perle cotton, size 12, in ecru for 10 cents each.  I couldn't pass it up and am using it for this quilt.  I hope it behaves better than the size 8 did! 

This quilt measures ~46" x ~52".  I'm quilting small Baptist Fans, just 4 arcs per fan so I don't have to move the hoop mid-fan.  I hope the quilting goes quickly. 

I'm linking this post to One Monthly Goal April Finish Linkup at Elm Streets Quilts where you can see the goals others have chosen for the month.  Many thanks to Patty, who hosts this link-up every month.  It motivates and helps me stay on track for quilty projects I would put off or do more slowly.

--Nancy.

12 comments:

  1. Looks like a good backing choice. I hope this perle cotton behaves well for you! This is such a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. The smaller perle cotton is easier to stitch with, at least....

      Delete
  2. I really like the backing you’ve selected. It accents and enhances the front very well. Best of luck with the size 12 pearl cotton. I do hope you like how it sews up. And what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anonymous. I hope with quilts well, too!

      Delete
  3. Lovely backing choice. This quilt is really coming to life, very appealing and charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that generous comment, Lizzy. I love the colors in this quilt but I'm not sure about the pattern....

      Delete
  4. Love the clours of your quilt, just beautifull

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt, and the B Fan is an excellent choice to quilt it. A treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, QuiltGranma. Baptist Fan is my go-to hand quilting choice! Haha.

      Delete
  6. Well, it did not let me comment as my google account…mysteries! Anyway…just found you, and thought your comment about the pearl cotton shrinking with big-stitch quilting was very interesting! Wouldn’t that be annoying! I wonder if there would be benefit to soaking the thread in hot water before hand? Gently? Thanks for sharing your experience!! Best, Linda B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows what happens with blogger when it won't let a person comment, or swallows a comment whole. So sorry!
      I hadn't thought about pre-treating the perle cotton as one does fabric, in a wash and dry cycle, or any other kind of pre-treatment, either! I could wind it into a skein, carefully tie to prevent tangles, then was. It's an idea that I might try, Linda. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...