Thursday, May 26, 2022

Indecision

Indecision always slows me down.  I think the reason so many of my quilts-in-progress get laid aside is because of indecision.  (Do you call quilts in this situation unfinished, having a time out, quilts in progress, laid aside, UFOs?  What's your name for them?)  These quilts are usually ones that I dream up myself or that I have to make some decisions to finish them and I get stuck.  This way or that?  This fabric or that?  Sashing this width or that?  And all the other decisions that go into a quilt.  When I have enough of these quilts-in-progress they become a cycle of picking up where I left off, again and again and again.

The quilt I'm getting ready to unstitch is Baskets of Plenty but I need to make some decisions before I pull out my seam ripper.
quilt made from Cheri Payne's Baskets of Plenty patterns
This is where I left it:  borders around each block, sashing, and cornerstones are all stitched.  The angel at the top is prepared but I don't think I stitched her down, so at least there's that. 

The problem is the brown sashing.  And maybe the burgundy borders, too. 
The brown color's wrong and the fabric itself is even more wrong.  I bought it on sale at JoAnn a few years ago.  It was such a great price that I was sure I could use it for something.  It's all cotton but it's both course and rough, almost scruffy.  I could leave it but I would never be satisfied.  Sadly, I don't know what fabric, or what color, to replace it with.  A darker brown, better quality fabric?  Grey borders instead of burgundy?  Or...?  I nearly always think of primitive quilts with dark colors.  Would this quilt work with medium tones?   If you have thoughts/ideas about borders and sashing for these blocks, I'd love to know! 
 
One of my problems is not being able to truly envision how a quilt will look before it's finished.  I guess I have an impaired imagination, or at least impaired mental vision.  It's rough when you have to sew something to be able to see it, then not like it and have to unstitch.  Anyone face that challenge?

But maybe my biggest problem with this quilt is that these blocks have become precious to me.  They were part of Cheri Payne's last sew-along on her Facebook page.  She provided the pieces of the patterns and we all chose how we wanted to use them.  It's always a bad thing when preciousness happens because objectivity flies out the window.  Who can be objective about someone or something they love?

I've also been scouting around for backing for Time Flies.  This is a quilt that won't get unstitched, thank goodness!
hourglass quilt, Time Flies

I'd like to find fabric that relates to time: clocks, hourglasses, watches, sundials, even dandelion clocks (you know, dandelion seed heads?).  I'm hoping for fabric with red/in the red range and perhaps grey, black, and/or tan.  I've been trying to think of other time-related images.  Ideas, anyone?  I saw Michael Miller's Vintage Treasures Children at Play fabric and considered play-time and the idea that children grow up so fast, as in time flies, but decided the front of this quilt wasn't quite playful enough for that fabric.  I'm sure some fabric will turn up.  I just hope it does before I finish the quilt that's in the hoop now!

I hope all is well in your part of the world.

--Nancy.

17 comments:

  1. Dark orange/rust inner border? Maybe sashing would look better...or not. And no idea about borders. I am usually good with colors, but on screen and in person are so different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion of orange/rust, Kathy. I'll look at the fabrics I have and give them a tray. You're right that colors are so different on a screen than in person!

      Delete
  2. if it were mine i'd remove the brown and leave the burgundy and audition different sashing from there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sew agree!

      Delete
    2. That seems like a sensible first step, Grace, and probably one that I'll take. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. I would remove that brown too--perhaps a Judy Rothermal (sp??) dusty pink print to keep that light angel look at the top (which, by the way is such an inspired addition!!)
    I call my unfinished quilts, projects :UFO's. And I always get to some point where I am indecisive--usually that involves sashing or borders it seems...I love your baskets and can see why you find them precious--they really are... beautiful work hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose. I hadn't thought of pink/dusty pink sashing. I look for Judie Rothermel fabrics and see what I can find.

      Delete
  4. Ugh, burgundy and brown? But it is not the brown, it is the burgundy that is making your beautiful blocks look muddy. Maybe go back to the original Cheri quilt and see what she did, then look in the photo album on her group page to see more/ or on Pinterest.
    I think ..black and white 1/2" gingham.
    Seeing a design in one's ''mind's eye'' is one of the first skills I learned as a garment designer. It is a learned skill, not a gift, gets better with practice and use [which means I am not as good at it as I once was, sigh.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm chuckling at your response, Lizzy. It was one that I anticipated: I remember your dislike of burgundy. At some point it made sense to me but my first problem is the brown fabric--the fabric itself. If I switch to a darker brown sashing I'm not sure what will happen to it against the burgundy. I think my real problem with the borders and sashing is that they look so flat and not primitive in the least. Maybe b&w gingham....

      Compared to all of us who made these baskets with Cheri, there are very few who finished the quilt and those who did sewed the blocks together with a narrow sashing, making a wall-sized quilt. So not much help there, at least not quilt for quilt.

      I was doing a little research about how to improve mind's eye images and I think my true problem is that I have aphantasia which is having no visual imagery, so essentially having no mind's eye.. I try to create or see an image. I can describe from memory things I've seen but I can't see them in my mind. When you don't have an image of what you've already seen you can imagine it's even hard to try to create an image without having seen something (fabric into a quilt, for example). I'm going to do more research about this. Maybe there's still hope for learning to visualize.

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts and suggestions, Lizzy.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about indecision. I think they are very pretty blocks and you have good reason to make them into a top you really like. I would keep the burgundy if you like the burgundy.... and choose something else to go with it? If you don't keep the burgundy.... I have often found that a teal or other blue-green or greenish blue is a great unifier.... but I also love those colors.... so I guess what I am saying is... choose fabric you really love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cynthia. I see the sense of choosing fabric I love (instead of the make-do brown I used because I had it). I'll give some thought to teal, a color I love, and then try out pieces of it over the brown. Thanks so much for the suggestions.

      Delete
  6. I don't have a problem with the burgundy sashing--it is like a dark picture frame around a happy spring photo. I would remove the brown not for the color alone, but for the description of the feel of the fabric. I think a pretty blue or teal would be a lovely sashing. In my minds eye it would allow the burgundy to frame the blocks, while keeping the overall feel of the quilt from being heavy and dark.
    I think the children playing on the back of your "time flies" quilt would be very fun. I have been trying to be less "serious" in my backings lately, inspired by Barb at "Fun With Barb" blog. My most recent finish of a purple and cheddar sampler in Civil War fabrics received a backing of bumble bees! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your observations and suggestions, Janet.  The more I look at photos of the quilt the more I think part of the problem is the "flatness" of the fabrics, that is, they read as solids which are much less interesting than prints.  Anyway, I'm going to try out some of the teals/blue-greens I already have and see if they improve the quilt at all. 

      Did you show the bumble bees on the back of your purple and cheddar quilt?  I don't remember seeing it so I'll go back and look at that post again.  What a beautiful quilt and I think bees on the back would be perfect!
      The children on red was on sale for $7/yard when I found it.  Now it's $9.00 and I'd rather not spend that much.  Maybe I'll use two fabrics on the back.  Or maybe I'll find it on sale again.

      Delete
  7. I like the burgundy. It's always so hard to decide. I'm making a scrap quilt right now and have been fussy cutting the centers for the blocks. I decided I needed to make up a sample block to see if I even like it with fussy cut centers. Not only did I not like it but I had cut a number of other pieces for the block at 6 1/8 instead of 6 5/8.
    Unpicking away. . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How disappointing, Robin. But it's a good thing you made a sample early on. I hope you can figure out something you like. Thank you for your "vote" for burgundy.

      Delete
  8. Maybe check Tim Holtz fabrics. He has one with timepieces!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...