Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Links to Enjoy #7

Here are another several interesting things I've found from around the internet.  Maybe one or two will be interesting to you, too.

Isn't Glass Gem corn beautiful!?  Wouldn't it be fun to find these gems in a leafy, green salad?

I thought this post about five women whose inventions changed the world was interesting.  I never knew!  But they missed Tabitha Babbitt, a Shaker who invented the circular saw.  Sadly, her religious affiliation prevented her from obtaining a patent and others are also given credit for her invention.

I love scrappy quilts, both seeing and making them.  I often think mine miss the mark, at least just a little, so I loved this post, Ten Tips for Making a Scrappy Quilt.  I can learn from these!

The photos at this post remind me of Caretakers of Wonder, a book by Cooper Edens.  When they were little, my daughters loved the caretakers with their bit of fantasy and magic.  The illustrations are beautiful (much better and brighter in the actual book than in this video) and led to some wonderful discussions.



See more than 1800 paper silhouettes cut by William Bache in the 1700s, 60 per two page spread.  Enlarge the pages to see details, click on a silhouette to see a close-up.  Most are identified.  I think what surprises me about silhouettes is that they are so identifiable.  I recognized Thomas Jefferson and George Washington right away.

I thought the variety of toys and miniatures in these flat lays, collected and photographed by Jane Housham, was fun.  Some of them reminded me of the little toys--real plastic toys, sometimes with moveable parts--found in boxes of Cracker Jacks in the 1950s and 1960s.  Anyone else remember those?  

Enjoy!

--Nancy.


8 comments:

  1. Great post, Nancy. I went to the Repo Quilter and read her post. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing these links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Anonymous. I'm glad you found a post of interest.

      Delete
  2. What an interesting imagination from the author and illustrator of the Caretakers of Wonder. I loved the whimsy of the one with the men holding a sheet with a target on it to catch the sun when it goes down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree, Robin. My daughters and I would marvel over the paintings, the details, and Edens's imagination. Yes, that target is funny, imagining that the sun will fall into it.

      Delete
  3. The corn is amazing. I've never seen it before.The book and similar style art were really interesting. The silhouettes were fascinating. How did they make those tiny, precise cuts? I didn't have time to hit every link. I had read the scrappy tips before. I may be able to catch the others a little later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found some interesting links, Janet.  I can't imagine most people have time (or the interest) to read them all.
      Yes, I love the corn!  It's so beautiful.
      I have no idea how people create such accurate silhouettes.  I used to think they were boring but that was before I realized how accurate they are.

      Delete
  4. As always, you've found very interesting spots! Some beautiful, some intriguing. I was most interested in the women patents. Amazing how much sooner and safer some things would have been, and more convenient, if men only listened to women with open minds. I'm quite sure that hasn't changed as much as we'd like to think it has! Thanks for sharing these. Yes, I remember the Cracker Jacks toys that actually moved. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you're welcome, Susan. I was interested and surprised about the women inventors, too. And I agree, things could have been better if men had listened to women. Sometimes I think the best inventions are the ones created because of a personal need by someone who knows what would work best.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...