Friday, September 8, 2023

Scrappy Star Stitchalong Blocks #1-3, Cherry Trees

I'm participating in Taryn's Scrappy Star Stitchalong, and I'm finding it hugely challenging!  The stars in this charming old quilt are really scrappy -- I imagine the maker either saved scraps with a quilt like this in mind or rooted through every basket of scraps she had! -- and I don't have many fabrics similar to those in the original blocks.  Below are my blocks and the originals that Taryn posted.

Block # 1
Scrappy Star Stitchalong Block #1
Sometime between beginning this block and finishing the quarter square triangles for the second block, I realized I really didn't have any black-and-white checked or plaid fabrics that were remotely similar to the ones in the original quilt.  So I made the decision to use browns instead of blacks, not being a big fan of blacks anyway.  Sadly, the browns I used are not checks, either.  The effect is not even remotely similar.  Also, two of the triangles in the top center block look like they have a purple background, and then someone called them blue....  The fabric I used is a strange purplish brown print.

Block #2
Scrappy Star Stitchalong Block #2
That triangle on the left in the center row....  It looks light blue/aqua to me, so that's what I used.  And more brown in the corner blocks.

Block #3 Scrappy Star Stitchalong Block #3 The two quarter-square-triangle blocks on the left and at the bottom....  I had a gold fabric but it was poor quality.  When I compared this block in the image above with the one in the photo of the whole quilt, it leaned toward a gold/army green so I went with the fabric that had army green and some gold in it.  Taryn identified the corner blocks as purple.  They look more grey to me so I used one of the few purples I have, but sadly, not a print.

I think the original quilt is charming.  My blocks, not so much.  I think I have to decide how closely to the original blocks I want to try to get, or whether I would be just as happy taking inspiration from the originals and going with fabric combinations I hope I will really like.  There's no sense making quilt blocks I don't like because they'll never become a quilt and will have been a waste of time.

These are the current quilt bloggers I know who are participating: 
   > Barb at Fun with Barb
   > Jeanne at Spiral
   > Linda at Koka Quilts
   > Tazzie at Tazzie Quilts
   > Wendy at The Constant Quilter
   > Katy at KatyQuilts
   > Kathleen at A Sentimental Quilter
See others' blocks on Instagram using #scrappystarstitchalong.

Thanks for hosting this stitchalong, Taryn.

I've been trying to decide what makes a quilt charming (instead of devolving into chaos), particularly an antique or vintage quilt.  Is it the fact that it's old?  Do I romanticize the process of a woman who lived 100 years ago making a quilt?  Or is it the fabrics, or the colors, or the layout?  So far, I'm less than charmed by my three blocks.

But I do have a generous supply of triangles I could use, in lots of colors, along with a few light plaids and stripes.
box of triangles cut from fabric
We lost two friends yesterday, the two cherry trees closest to the camera.  The one near the middle of the photo had become infested with bugs and fell against our garage.  Then we learned the near one also had bugs.  These three cherry trees were here when we moved in nearly 25 years ago.  (In the photo below, a construction guy was coming into the yard with this equipment.)
The trees were leaning then and were very tall from lack of pruning.  It was not so much that they provided cherries, because some years they did and some years they didn't.  It was the shade they provided in the yard and to the room where I sew and use the computer.   And maybe even more than the shade was the beauty of the trees when they were laden with blossoms.  It's so sad to lose them.
cherry tree with blossoms
They really were dear friends and I miss them.  Our back yard looks bare and the sun shines a little too brightly into the room where I sew.  Farewell, sweet, dear trees.

We're beginning to have some cooler days and nights, and the leaves are beginning to fall already.  The brightness of autumn is just around the corner.  Hooray!

I'm linking this post to Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework.  Thanks for hosting, Cynthia.

Edited to add:  Comments are not coming to my email.  If you leave a comment and I have your email, I'll respond directly as well as here on the blog comments.  If I don't have your email, my response will be in the comments.  I'm grateful for all comments.

--Nancy.

8 comments:

  1. We're thinking alike, Nancy. I featured the Starry SAL in my last post as I was so taken with the original quilt. I think it represents the true essence of what quilting was all about. I think your blocks look wonderful. The photos of the originals don't seem to be true to the colours I noticed. Enjoy this process and thanks for sharing it with us as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about that quilt that makes it so attractive, do you think, Jocelyn? I like it a lot but can't quite figure out why. Maybe it is just the scrappiness and the true essence of what quilting was all about. Thank you for your kind words about my blocks. They'll do, I think.

      Delete
  2. I have a wealth of scraps but mine aren't coming very close to the original quilt either. I'm settling for the "loosely inspired by" level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll be going for the "loosely inspired by" attitude, too, Jeanne. I was thinking, "her scraps for her time," so maybe "my scraps from my time." When there are a hundred or so fabrics in 20 6" blocks, it would be surprising for us to have similar prints, especially considering we're more than 100 years apart.

      Delete
  3. Your blocks are beautiful and very VERY close in final result to the inspiration blocks. You are too self critical I think this sewalong is meant to be fun albeit challenging, not anxiety producing. Just keep going.

    I do not right now have the time or ability to do this project, but so fun.
    If this impending doom hurricane leaves me stranded here w no power I may try to handpiece the blocks. After Sandy we had no power for a month, as I recall. Ugh.

    PS Look to your shirt collection for plaids and checks? Should I try to find for you in my stash?

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouraging comments about my blocks, Lizzy. Last night I was looking at the original quilt again and realized that many of them have darker corner blocks. So I'm just going to go with what I have, using similar fabrics if I have them.
      I hope the hurricane spends itself before it gets to your area. No power for a month would be awful! Really awful!!!
      I've pulled out many of my plaids but don't find many that are similar to those in the original quilt. Sadly, the black plaids that would have worked really well went into other quilts! Thanks for offering to look through your plaids and checks. That's very kind of you but I think I'll make do with what I have. One way or the other, I need to use that fabric I have!

      Delete
  4. There is a color called Puce. I think of it whenever I have a brown piece of fabric that looks purple when I put it with the browns and looks brown when I stack it with the deep purples. I think your blocks look great. The original maker used her scraps so it fits right in with the theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I always thought puce was a greenish color. Thanks for clarifying for me. Yes, for sure, one of the fabrics I used had a puce background!
      Thanks for your kind words about my blocks. I've been thinking, "her blocks from fabrics of her time," so "my blocks from fabrics of my time." I'll still try to choose fabric of a similar color, or similar print/plaid, etc., I'll just use what I have.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...