Friday, November 24, 2023

Links to Enjoy #16

These links have been piling up and I already have too many for one post.  I hope you find something fun, interesting, or new.

I find this photo of a young lady sitting at a sewing machine positively delightful, particularly because the mirror behind her reflects the image of the photographer.  Perhaps they are sharing a joke.  This is one of 4,000 glass plate negatives, taken from the mid-1800s into the 1930s, that Terri Carpucci discovered and preserved.  Yeah, Terri!  Read more about the project here.  (I really wanted to include the photograph but I couldn't determine whether or not it had a copyright.)

This post tells more about aphantasia, the inability to see images in your mind.  There is a 12-minute video in the post and links to others' experiences with aphantasia.  I can't imagine what it would be like to see images in my mind!

If you happen to have time on your hands with nothing to do (hard to imagine!), you might enjoy this website, Let's Get Creative.  It has a wealth of simple computer games--drawing, coding, music, painting, flip book animator, and plenty more.  I'm not musical but I enjoyed a few minutes of play with Music Box Fun.

These scenes cut into leaves are amazing.  So much detail in such a small area.  They reminded me of some metal cutouts on top of bike racks in downtown Columbus, though these are much larger and less detailed than the leaves.

The Great British Bake-off Recipes are here.  Were there any you wanted to try?

Starling murmurations have always fascinated me, so of course I enjoyed these photos.  And then there's this children's book, We Are Starlings, which describes being in a murmuration from a starling's point of view.  I thought it was interesting but to me the best parts were the illustrations and the last two pages with facts about starlings and murmurations.

And here's a short video.
Aren't they mesmerizing?

--Nancy.

4 comments:

  1. I would say I was a #1 as far as visualizing things like a top hat or an apple but when I visualize a person it is usually a scene where I can see them doing something but their face is blurry. After reading many of the comments I think visualizing is wound up together with memory because many of the comments of people who can visualize well also said they can remember things on a hike and where on a page they read something. My sister had the best memory, her ability to recall what she had read was amazing but, that being said, she could not visualize. We are all so different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree that visualization and memory are tied together, Robin. It's funny though, I can often remember where on a page something I want to reread is, but I can't see it. Generally, though, I have a terrible memory which, I guess, if this theory is right, would support that I wouldn't be able to visualize well. But then your sister....

      Delete
  2. I am enjoying exploring some of your links. Aphantasia...I had no idea that was a thing! I would say I'm about a 7, but I think I used to be closer to a 9 when I was younger. The lights seem to have dimmed a bit with the years, ha. That's a great old photo, too. Glass plate negatives...my father-in-law had a whole box of these in his garage from a family member. They were all of cows! I don't remember what became of them, but I was fascinated by them (if a little bored by the subject). Now I'm off to look at the recipes. I'm a big fan of show, but do I want to make any of them? We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the links, Paulette. 
      Learning about aphantasia was an eye-opener for me.  Now I understand why I'm always saying things like, "I try to imagine...," and "I can almost envision...," etc., when I really can't see anything in my mind!  I have a friend who says it just takes practice.
      That's interesting bout a whole box of glass plate negatives of cows.  Perhaps it was the photographer's prized herd?
      I haven't seen The Great British Baking Show for a while but I remember thinking I'd like this recipe, or that.  Of course, now I can't remember which recipes....

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...