Wednesday, April 17, 2024

This and That

Last week I needed some slow, portable hand stitching that didn't require much thinking.  I pulled out several of these little plaid baskets with zinnias and stitched while I listened to and watched a conference online.
I finished these two, above and below.  They are crooked because of the angle of the camera--they really do have perpendicular edges with square corners.
Below is one that's still in progress.  The colors of all these baskets are much more vibrant in person.
I think I still have half as many basket blocks to finish as are finished but I'm beginning to think of how to set them.  Maybe several scrappy borders around them, but no decisions yet.  There's still plenty of time.

My favorite iron that I've ever owned is this Hamilton Beach with auto shut-off, Model 1421OR.
It heated in less than a minute, stayed on an hour before shutting off (auto shut-off required for me because I forget to turn off my iron), and had a button to push to wind the cord into a storage spot at the bottom (something new to me).  I don't use the steam feature.  I've had a lot of different irons in my lifetime, including a Rowenta (that sparked).  Sadly, I set this one too close to the edge of the ironing board one day and it fell.  I almost caught it.  When it landed on the floor the light stayed on and I thought it was still working, but then the light went out and it was dead.  I was so sad.  I bought another Hamilton Beach with similar features.  I hope it turns out to be as good.

Fruit trees are in bloom all around us, but we lost two of our three cherry trees last year to disease.  The third and remaining tree has a few blossoms.  In past years they looked bounteous. 
Did you watch the eclipse last Monday, the 8th?  We were a few miles outside the path of totality so drove about 30 or 45 minutes to a nearby small town to see it and sat in the parking lot of thrift store we often visit. 
Totality lasted only two minutes, and it was amazing.  The sky did not get as black as in some of the photos I've seen online.  Instead, it was like sunset in all directions toward the horizon--at 2:00 in the afternoon.  I doubt I'll be alive in 2045 to see the next one so I'm glad to have seen this one.

Bramble Blooms is on hold at the moment while I try to imagine possibilities.  I'm actually considering redoing the first border.  I'm really such a slow thinker when it comes to creating quilts....

I'm making slow progress on Everyday Patchwork.  I'm beginning to wonder if I really like hand quilting as much as I thought I did.  But if not hand quilted, what?  Not machine quilted, but maybe big stitch or tied quilts?  Or maybe make the tops, enjoy the process, then pass them on to an organization that has people who will quilt and bind them or turn them into comforters.  I have such a stack of quilts to be quilted!

I hope things are great for you!

--Nancy.

10 comments:

  1. I do really love your little baskets--the zinnias are so pretty in them.

    Any creative thinking has ground to a complete halt here for me!! I put BB on hold, too; I cannot come up with anything so far that really "speaks" to me and I don't want to just slap on another border for the sake of it--if you get my meaning..
    .No cherry blossoms here as yet; those chilly ocean breezes are keeping it too cold here...
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose.  I think you are further north of Ohio, and further east, too?  It seems spring arrives in the south first and then moves northward.  One of these days you'll see cherry blossoms.
      I remember you saying that you thought your quilt was done.  Maybe it is!  I know what you mean about not adding to a quilt just for the sake of it.  I want all aspects of a quilt to work together.  I'm working at creative thinking but I still haven't come up with what's next for Bramble Blooms.  I'm thinking of removing the brown border, or at least the appliques, but I haven't come up with what to applique in place of what I remove.  As I look at the top now it seems too busy and I wonder if I added for the sake of adding....

      Delete
  2. Zinnias are our community's official flower. Yours are charming. I tried a Rowenta once--an expensive failure. I stick to models similar to the one in your photo. Mine are Black and Decker. I buy two (sometimes three!) at a time at Wal-Mart. They last maybe 9 months to a year, and I don't want to get stuck with a burnt-out iron in the middle of a project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea to buy two irons at a time.  I might try it.  The sad thing is, I'm optimistic enough that I think irons will last longer than they do (but becoming less so as the years go by).  One of my irons was a Black and Decker but I like this HB better.
      Thanks for weighing in on the iron situation.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, my comment disappeared, I ll check back later, maybe it just went to moderation..but was not finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! I'm so sorry, Lizzy. It happens to me sometimes too, and I have no idea why!

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy seeing your baskets of zinnias, so pretty. How many will be in the completed quilt? As far as quilting is concerned I gave up using the old thin quilting thread several years ago and only use 12 wt. Aurifil now, and also don't quilt as closely as I used to. Wool batting makes it easier to needle too. Don't really care to machine quilt any more but for some it's necessary just to get a few finished each year, especially the donation quilts. I had an old Black and Decker iron that I really loved but when it died I couldn't find another like it. Not terribly pleased with the Hamilton Beach I have right now, doesn't seem to get hot enough and too light weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I think maybe those baskets are becoming a little stale, but I have at least 10 more to stitch! There are 21 baskets at one stage or another of progress or finished. When I get more finished I'll lay them out and play a little.
      Thanks for the tips and suggestions about quilting thread. Is Aurifil 12 weight similar to DMC perle cotton 12 wt?
      I will buy some wool batting one of these days to use on a carefully-chosen top.
      It's interesting how we all have different preferences for irons. I hadn't noticed that the Hamilton Beach iron I have doesn't get very hot. I'll have to pay more attention. So far I've only been pressing shorter seams.

      Delete
  5. Second try: I love the Zinnia Baskets, darling!

    You must finish your quilts as you prefer but I will say that machine quilting, if professionally and thoughtfully done, can be beautiful and makes the project DONE and useful. [I know you use your quilts]. Pls consider asking me/us before you donate tops; I d be happy to buy Zinnias, for example, and donate the money to a charity of your choice instead.

    Don't you hate when a much loved tool gets broken. My irom fell a few years ago. The replacement is okay but cannot compare and it shuts off after maybe 10 minutes, soooo annoying. I hope your new iron is good.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you gave your comment another try, Lizzy.  I don't know why comments disappear.  Lately I've begun typing my comment in Notepad, then copying and pasting it into the comment box.  At least if it's lost, I still have it.  But, sadly, I don't always remember....
      Thanks for your support of the plaid baskets with zinnias.  I'm rather fond of them, at least individually.  I hope they'll become a unified quilt and I'll also be fond of it.
      Not finishing the quilts I've started, or quilting the tops I've finished, makes me feel like a quitter, and someone I don't want to be.  I probably just need to push myself and do it.  Maybe?
      I do hate it when tools and equipment break.  Even scissors, or seam rippers.  I'm a big fan of old.  I bought a second rotary cutter a few months ago, not because the one I have was broken but because I wanted one to use for fabric and one for paper.  The new one (same maker as the first) seems flimsy and cheap.  It cuts better but only because it has a new blade.  I thought about returning it but I bought it on sale with an additional coupon so it was super inexpensive, so I'm keeping it and trying to get used to it.
      The verdict is still out on the iron. 
      Thanks again for coming back to leave a second comment.  I appreciate it.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...