Friday, October 26, 2012

The High Five Top is Finished


I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have this quilt top stitched together.  (Okay, so the whole quilt isn't finished but I finish in bits and pieces.)  I'm showing only a small part of it and I'll tell you why in a minute.  The squares are 4 1/2" finished and the top is 16 squares by 20 squares (a total of 320 squares), making the finished quilt a generous single bed size of approximately 72" x 90".   This quilt is for my daughter who loved the small one I made for her nephew/my grandson.

I originally thought I would make it 15 x 19 squares but when I laid it out it just seemed too small.  So I found myself stitching more squares to make it larger.  I needed to have the top sewn together by last Wednesday evening and I was still making squares on Tuesday.  You wouldn't think they'd take very long but because each square uses five fabrics, I couldn't push them through the machine as quickly as if they'd been all the same.  I was hoping to get the quilt layered before last Thursday but it didn't happen.

I plan to hand quilt it with a fan variation.  The quilt pattern is Amanda Jean Nyberg's "High Five" from the book, Sunday Morning Quilts.

The push to finish?  I had foot surgery last Thursday and am limited to whatever I can do with my foot elevated -- for six long weeks.  I could have quilted it if I'd gotten it layered.  I will lay or hang the quilt top so I can photograph it or maybe wait till it's quilted and then post it.  Whichever I do, it will be a while before I can take a good photo.

I'm linking this post to

Happy quilting!

--Nancy.


2 comments:

  1. Wow!! That's a really long time to have to keep your foot elevated. Here's to good healing! This is a really fun scrappy top. No wonder your daughter asked for one. :D

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...