Friday, November 21, 2014

Work and Lice (& Nothing About Quilting)

I did not have much foresight when I was younger.  As my husband and I were preparing to leave for Peace Corps service, my father said, "What are you two doing?  You should be planning for retirement."  I was 28 at the time and retirement seemed in the long-distant future:  no need to think about it on the verge of a new adventure.  And off we went. 

When we returned home I worked for several organizations, both full-time and part-time for varying lengths of time, but none long enough to obtain enough retirement credits in either the public retirement system or in social security.  I'm now approaching retirement age with the need to earn five quarters (spread over at least two years) to quality for social security, the system with which I have the most amount of time.  Needless to say, I've been seeking employment this year to earn one of those quarters.

While job hunting I've seen some interesting job titles, but the most interesting, or maybe the most unusual or the most surprising, was this:



I did not click the link to learn more about this job.  My imagination went wild and I began scratching my head. 

I'll finish one quarter of work this year and will work next year to earn the other four quarters.  But no matter what other job I have to take, I will not be a head lice removal technician.

--Nancy.
.

1 comment:

  1. This post brought back some memories for me! A long time ago I worked for the local school system in a rural part of West Virginia. Lice outbreaks were a yearly occurrence and anyone working who could spare the time was a "lice removal technician". I always tried to make sure I was busy.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...